This is my favorite summer refresher to make with my nephews. Nothing beats fresh cool citrus with a touch of mint! While waiting for more of the lemons to ripen in the backyard, I used limes and it was delightful! Also goes well with sparkling water and can easily be made into a cocktail!
Summer Lemonade or Limeade with Mint
(makes about six servings)
5 lemons or limes, juiced
4 - 5 tablespoons sugar
2 cups mint leaves, densely packed
1 quart (4 cups) water
A few extra lime slices and mint leaves, for garnish
1. Put all ingredients, except for the water, in a pitcher or large Mason jar.
2. Muddle the sugar, mint and lime juice together until the mint leaves have been reduced by half and the sugar has blended well with the lime juice.
3. Add the water.
4. Taste, and adjust ingredients as needed, adding more lime or more sugar or more water to taste.
5. Let the mixture cool in the fridge for at least an hour.
6. Strain the mint leaves out.
7. Pour into glasses of ice and enjoy!